There are many benefits to working out at home rather than going to the gym. Working out at home is quicker, easier and more convenient. And it’s cheaper. Once you have your compact exercise equipment in place, there are no monthly fees to worry about.
In this post, I’ll be reviewing the fourteen best compact exercise equipment and machines that are out TODAY.
One problem with working out at home, though, is that you can’t possibly have all the equipment that a gym has. Unless you live in a mansion, you simply don’t have the room for a treadmill, a stationary bike, a pull-up bar, a bench press, and all those other machines.
Imagine if you tried to fit a treadmill, a bench press, a squat rack, a dumbbell shelf, and a host of other weightlifting machines into your apartment. You’d have nowhere to sleep! So the challenge for designers and manufacturers of workout equipment is twofold. The home workout product needs to be versatile and compact.
The fourteen products I’m highlighting today are both of those things.
And even if you don’t live in an apartment, but rather you live in a house with more square footage, these fourteen products are still great. Why? Because they keep your house from being overwhelmed with stuff!
Did you know that about one out of four Americans can’t even fit one car in their garage? Their garages are just too cluttered with stuff! So even though these products were designed with small spaces in mind, they work great in large spaces as well. They keep your large spaces looking clean and uncluttered.
Here are the best compact portable exercise equipment for small homes:
Apartment Sized Exercise Equipment
Folding Workout Station
THE RACK Workout Station 30 lb Pro Version is right for anybody looking to get a good workout at home. It’s great for assisting you while you do push-ups, pull-ups, dips, lunges, squats and other exercises.
One thing to keep in mind, though, is that THERACK® might not be best for complete beginners who are out of shape. If you can’t do a single pull-up and don’t plan on getting to that fitness level, you may want to consider buying another product. But maybe getting this piece of workout equipment will motivate you to get in better shape! It just depends on your fitness level and your fitness goals.
This product is perfect for people with apartments and small spaces because it’s so compact and it’s so portable. It’s designed to be lifted and carried around. Since the whole thing is 30 pounds, you could easily put it in your car and drive it to a park or wherever you feel like doing your workout.
How small is THERACK®, exactly?
The Rack dimensions are: 15.8 x 24 x 34 inches.
- you can add up to forty pounds of plates to make the whole thing heavier
- wheels allow you to adjust it for ab and core exercises
- it has comfy hand grips
- the feet are made of rubber so they won’t slip
- the heavy-duty steel construction makes it last basically forever
SEE ALSO: THE RACK Workout Station Review
THERACK® Workout Station 30 lb Pro Version comes with a warranty. I’ll quote from the website here:
If the original consumer buyer is not satisfied with the merchandise purchased because it has been defectively manufactured with imperfect materials or workmanship, or does not stand up to normal usage, the original consumer buyer may within 90 days from the date of purchase from PowerPortLA, return it to the manufacturer with proof of purchase, and the manufacturer will, at manufacturer’s option, either repair or replace the defective item.
THERACK® is made by PowerPoint LA, LLC. It was invented by Travis Burrell, who participates in the Ironman competition.
Also, another great portable gym is…
Resistance Band Home Gym
The BodyBoss Home Gym 2.0 is right for people with exceptionally small spaces. It can easily slide under your bed or be stored in your closet.
BodyBoss home gym 2.0 exact dimensions are:
Unfolded: 34.25″ x 19.7″ x 1.18″
Folded: 18.1″ x 19.7″ x 2.36″
It’s also one of the lightest pieces of equipment I’m writing about today. It weighs only 17 pounds. So it wouldn’t be a struggle to store it on a shelf.
The BodyBoss 2.0 is basically a heavy-duty base that you stand on. The base goes on the floor, and then you hook up lots of giant rubber bands to it. The giant rubber bands are kind of like stretchy ropes. You attach handles and bars to the bands. Then you can simulate virtually all the workouts you would do at the gym. It really is a neat contraption.
The BodyBoss HomeGym comes with:
- 2 Resistance Bands
- Collapsible Workout Bar
- 2 Handles
- 2 Wrist Straps
- 1 Door Anchor
- 1 Carry Bag
- Workout Booklet
- Access to Free Workout Videos
The BodyBoss 2.0 comes with a one-year full warranty and their website advertises “hassle-free returns.”
The company that makes BodyBoss company has a unique story. The BodyBoss 2.0 is a relatively new product that actually got its start on the fundraising website, Kickstarter. Enough people supported the product financially and so the BodyBoss home gym became a reality.
In only a short amount of time, the home gym rose in popularity. Now the BodyBoss 2.0 is the seventh bestselling home gym on Amazon.
Workout Bench and Fitness Station
The Escape Fitness Deck is a great option for someone who wants to do it all for a truly small amount of size investment. It can be configured 16 different ways, then folded up to store away under your bed.
It is less optimal for endurance athletes like runners, but you could still use it for cardio workouts, especially with workout DVDs.
Escape Fitness Deck Dimensions: 43.3 x 13 x 14
Why I recommend it:
- 16 configurations: including an incline and decline bench mode for weight training.
- Channels for resistance bands.
- Built-in storage
- Adjustable steps: can go low or high depending on your workout
- Extensive user guides: Escape Fitness offers plenty of workout ideas and guides on their app and YouTube channel
Escape Fitness offers a one year warranty on this product.
The Fitness Station is developed by Escape Fitness, a company that prides themselves on their ability to help their clients ‘escape their limits’. They’ve worked with many industry brands all over the world since 1998.
Portable Home Gym Resistance Band System
Gorilla Bow Portable Home Gym Resistance Band System is great for any level of fitness and especially those who focus on bodybuilding and strength training, this unique piece of equipment is designed in such a way that you can work your whole body with a single device.
It likely won’t be very handy for any kind of cardiovascular training, although the manufacturer does claim that 15 minutes with the Bow will burn more calories than an hour of treadmill jogging.
Gorilla Bow Portable Home Gym Dimensions: 56 x 9.5 x 1.75
Why I recommend it:
- Full-body system: the bow does with one single piece that a whole room full of machines in a gym can do. Every single muscle can be hit with the bow.
- Resistance band effectiveness: Resistance bands have enjoyed popularity in strength training circles due to their ability to defy the effects of gravity and keep an exercise challenging throughout the entire rep.
- Portable: At a whopping eight pounds, the bow could just as easily be taken for a workout in the park, office, or anywhere else.
- Seriously Durable: Made from aircraft aluminum and built to withstand 300 pounds of force, this thing isn’t gonna break on you anytime soon.
- Safe: Traditional dumbbell workouts have injury risks associated with them such as failing a rep that is too heavy or doing an exercise with poor form. The nature of resistance bands eliminates all of these risks since the resistance is dependent completely on your own movement.
Gorilla Fitness offers a 90-day money-back guarantee for the Bow, as well as a two-year warranty.
Gorilla Bow has a uniquely innovated brainchild of Gorilla Fitness, who researched and designed it specifically to be able to achieve a full-body workout in one piece of equipment. Their brand is oriented around the bow, and they offer a decent quantity of programs and fitness advice to their clients as well.
Best Weight Set For Apartment
Rockrlok Adjustable kettlebells are great for anyone who loves kettlebells but doesn’t love the space a whole set of them takes up. Unlike other brands, these adjustable kettlebells keep the true kettlebell shape when you add or subtract weights to it.
It comes in two sizes, RKB-36, which is the heavier one, and RKB-20, which is the lighter one. The RKB-36 kettlebell has a weight range of 24 – 36 pounds. Its dimensions are 8″L x 6″W x 9.5″H.
The RKB-20 has a weight range of 14 – 20 pounds. Its dimensions are 7.5″L x 4.5″W x 8.25″H.
These adjustable kettlebells:
- keep the true kettlebell shape when you add or remove weights
- don’t require any tools for adjusting
- have a smooth finish so it won’t snag on clothing
It’s very unlikely that these things will break down. But if they do within the first decade, there’s no need to worry. They have a ten-year warranty. Rocketlok is a company based in Dallas, Texas. In addition to the adjustable kettlebells, they also make a few different weight sets curl bars, and they have plans to start making benches.
Also, check out…
Powerblock Adjustable Dumbbells don’t look like dumbbells. But trust me. They’re dumbbells. And, like the adjustable kettlebells, the idea here is the same. You take a lot of stuff that used to take up a ton of space and combine it all in some clever way. So, you save space.
How small are these things? Each dumbbell is 12.5″L x 7″W x 7.25″H.
The adjustable dumbbells:
- adjust from 5 – 50 pounds, but comes in other sizes as well
- are color-coded
- have a square shape so they don’t roll around
They come with a reasonable warranty, which you can read more about here. Powerblock started in 1991 when fitness equipment designers wanted to reduce the number of space dumbbells took up.
Best Compact Cardio Equipment For Small Spaces
Folding Excercise Bike
Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike with Pulse Monitoring this is a stationary bicycle that folds and rolls away when you’re done using it. It’s smaller than most stationary bikes. That’s why it would be great for people who only have small spaces to work out in.
Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike dimensions are 22” L x 20” W x 55.5” H when folded.
This compact exercise bike:
- is capable of supporting up to a 300-pound person
- has a large and comfortable seat cushion
- an easy-to-read LCD monitor
- eight levels of magnetic tension
- measures your pulse while you exercise
It comes with a one-year limited warranty. Exerpeutic sells its products at many different stores, like Sam’s Club, Amazon, and on the Home Shopping Network.
Another top compact cardio equipment is…
Running outside is not always feasible. When there’s snow on the ground, when it’s really hot, or when it’s raining, you don’t want to run outside. So a treadmill is great for any walker, jogger or runner to have.
The 3G Cardio 80i Fold Flat Treadmill is perfect for people who live in apartments or who simply want to conserve space. When it’s not in use, it can easily be folded up and stored beneath your bed. It can also be folded into a safe upright position.
3G Cardio 80i Fold Flat Treadmill dimensions are:
74″L x 33″W x 9.75″H when folded flat and 39″L x 33″W x 70″H when folded up.
This fold-flat treadmill has:
- display monitor
- heart rate sensors
- varying levels of difficulty
- 3.0 horsepower motor
- 0% – 15% incline range
The drive motor and frame has a lifetime warranty. Other parts have a 5-year warranty, and labor is covered for one year.
The co-owners of 3G, the company that makes the folding treadmill, have been involved in the fitness equipment industry for a combined total of over 50 years. 3G is an Arizona-based company with a good reputation.
SEE ALSO: Best Compact Treadmills For Small Spaces
Vertical Climber Machine
If you hate hours and hours of jogging mindlessly, you’ll love the MaxiClimber. It provides a full-body cardiovascular workout and is much more engaging than your average treadmill grind.
It may not be as compatible with a strength-training regimen since it has the potential to fatigue your entire body before you even get to the weights. If you are simply interested in overall general fitness, though, this is a great choice.
MaxiClimber Dimensions: 57 x 10 x 6 inches ; 33 pounds
Why I recommend it:
- Core emphasis: an essential component to overall health and wellbeing, a good core workout will make you sturdier and less prone to injury
- Joint safety: This machine is low-impact and won’t hurt your hips or knees the way jogging on a treadmill might.
- Height adjustable
- Folds for storage
- Burns twice as many calories as jogging: Because you use both upper and lower body, you’re working out double hard.
Glider Exercise Machine
Gazelle Edge is a modified version of a standard elliptical, this is a great product for those with joint pain that prevents them from running — or anyone who just hates treadmills!
It’s not going to be best for someone with a focus on bodybuilding or strength training, but of course, you could always add in a basic dumbbell or resistance band workout as well for overall fitness.
Gazelle Edge Dimensions: 43 x 28 x 53.75
Why I recommend it:
- Adjusts to your gait: The machine swings freely, so tall or short, your legs won’t be forced to follow an unnatural stride length the way it might on an elliptical. This makes it even easier on the knee and hip joints.
- Foolproof: Just hop on and start running
- Tracks your workout: An LCD screen lets you see your time, distance covered, and how many calories you’ve burned per workout.
- Inexpensive: A mere $125; depending on where you live, two or three months’ worth of a gym membership might be pricier than this!
- Quiet: Because it doesn’t rely on an engine, it doesn’t have that constant mechanical whiiiirrrr when you use it. Great news especially if you love watching TV while you exercise.
The seller offers a one year warranty on this product.
The Gazelle is Tony Little’s most successful product to date. A fitness expert and bodybuilding champion, Little’s videos and books on fitness have sold millions of copies worldwide.
Compact Rowing Machine
Rowing is a great way to exercise because you’re not only increasing your heart rate, you’re also working the muscles almost everywhere in your body. Stamina Body Trac Glider 1050 Rowing Machine is great for someone who wants to feel as much burn as possible, in as little time as possible.
On the flip side, this machine may not be optimal for bodybuilders, strength athletes, or anyone else with clear athletic goals in mind. It’s best for overall, rather than specific, fitness.
Stamina Body Trac Glider 1050 Rowing Machine Dimensions: 58.25 x 42.5 x 18.125
Why I recommend it:
- Adjustable hydraulic resistance: you choose how intense you want your strokes to be
- Full-range rowing arms
- LCD workout monitor: see how many strokes you’ve rowed, how many calories you’ve burned, and more
- Built for comfort: contains padded handles, a molded seat, and textured footplates
- Stores easily: folding arms save you even more space
The seller offers a one year warranty on the frame and a ninety-day warranty on the parts.
The BodyTrac Glider is manufactured by Stamina, a company that has been in business since 1987. Stamina was among the first companies to develop home gym equipment for infomercials and takes special pride in their Pilates-style equipment.
SEE ALSO: Best Indoor Row Machines for Home Gym
Full Body Vibration Trainer
Confidence Fitness Slim Full Body Vibration Trainer is great for those who want to work out fast (I’m talking ten minutes) and simply add a bit extra to their normal routine. The Platform allows you to do everything you normally would, just with a bit of added resistance.
If you have joint difficulties, a heart condition, or use a pacemaker, however, it’s recommended that you talk to your doctor before investing in one of these machines.
Confidence Fitness Slim Full Body Vibration Trainer Dimensions: 29 x 27.5 x 48
Why I recommend it:
- Ups a basic workout: Because your core muscles have to work to stabilize you, anything from push-ups to bridges will be harder on the Platform
- Therapeutic benefits: The vibrations provided by the platform can help with improving circulation, bone density, and even some pain symptoms
- Adjustable speed: you can go from one all the way up to fifty, a pretty solid range of vibration intensity to suit every user.
- It comes with yoga straps so you can get an upper-body workout in while standing on the platform too.
- Possible weight loss assistance: While the company itself doesn’t claim this as an effect of using their product, a sizable number of Amazon reviewers did claim that using the platform broke them through a weight loss plateau.
The manufacturer offers a standard one year warranty for this product.
Confidence is a smaller brand with little web presence, but the reviews on this product seem to speak for themselves. For so little space and financial investment, you could reap a serious amount of fitness benefits.
Best Compact Home Gym
All In One Home Gym
The name says it all. The Total Gym brings nearly all the exercise equipment you would find in a gym in your home.
The Total Gym XLS is great for people who live in apartments or who are working with small spaces because it’s so compact.
Total Gym XLS dimensions are:
Unfolded: 19″ W x 90″ L x 43″ H
Folded: 19″ W x 51″ L x 9″ H
The Total Gym XLS has:
- 400-pound weight capacity
- sturdy pulleys and cables
- flexible strap handles
- padded glideboard
- the capability to let you perform over 80 exercises
And it comes with a lot of accessories, like tons of workout DVDs, an exercise wall chart, and Dan Isaacson’s nutritional program and meal plan.
If you buy the Total Gym XLS from the official website, there is a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can return the whole thing within 30 days and get all your money back.
It also comes with a great warranty. There’s a lifetime warranty on the Total Gym XLS frame and a 6-month warranty on all the parts.
Total Gym has been around for a long time. The coolest thing about them is that they have the toughest guy in the world for their spokesman: Chuck Norris. If you haven’t heard some Chuck Norris facts, it’s really about time that you’ve heard them.
SEE ALSO: Total Gym Review
Stamina Power Tower
Bodyweight fitness has proven an effective way to build serious strength and muscle. The Stamina Power Tower can help take a bodyweight workout to the next level, making an even wider variety of exercises possible.
The Power Tower may not be right for beginners, however — if you can’t do a pull-up, for instance, you likely won’t get much use out of this piece of equipment.
Stamina Power Tower Dimensions: 49 x 42.5 x 81
Why I recommend it:
- Adds Variation: Instead of just relying on crunches, for instance, you now have the option for hanging leg raises. Push- and pull-ups can be adjusted to a higher difficulty or muscular emphasis with the bar.
- Very easy to assemble: One Amazon reviewer compared it to assembling a Lego kit
- Designed for security: The material is designed to be lightweight but still able to withstand 250lb of force. Padded handled and endcaps prevent damage to both you and the floor you use it on.
- Inexpensive: For a mere $100, the device pays for itself in only a handful of weeks compared to a gym membership
- No frills: It’s simple and gets the job done. It doesn’t rely on bells, whistles, or any other gimmicky technologies that won’t do much effective work in the end
The Power Tower comes with a five-year warranty on the frame and a ninety-day warranty for the parts.
I’ve recommended another Stamina product earlier in this article. They truly are excellent for total body, Pilates-style fitness, especially with so many years in the industry behind them.
Well, that just about wraps up the discussion of my fourteen favorite pieces of compact exercise equipment. Except I want to say at least one more thing. I want to simply say that I like all of them. I think you’ll like all of them, too. Whichever one you choose will help you get the results you want.
Another important note: As with all exercise equipment, the exercise products I highlighted today will be totally useless unless you actually use them. So use them! Exercise!
And sometimes getting a new piece of exercise equipment provides motivation. When you see your BodyBoss 2.0 in your closet, you’ll think, “Oh yeah! I need to exercise!”
Hopefully, you’ll make fitness a priority in your life. You’ll exercise regularly, and you’ll look better and you’ll feel better. I hope this article helped you and I wish you the best on your fitness journey!